Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R NJ Pension box 13 & 15

NJ 1099-R pension shows state withholding amount on my pension form box 12 for amount and box 13 for state and state number . Turbo tax does not have a box 12(unless you are checking for FACTA which I am not). on it's 1099-R. It only has a box 14 for state taxes withheld. I enter it there but I get an error asking for Box 15 State No.  In Box 14 I put NJ but there is no State # listed on my 1099-R.

For error on Box 15 I just type out NEWJERSEY as that is what it states on my box 13 3on my St/Payee's number.  I see the amounts flow through but hope because my form and turbo tax entries do not match up, nor do I have the state NO., that I do not run into an issue  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax uses the IRS Form 1099-R in the program - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1099r--2023.pdf

Enter the amount of state taxes withheld in box 14, the state (NJ) and state payer ID in box 15, the state distribution amount in box 16.

@kenny222299 you shouldn't have an issue.  Just make sure the NJ withholdings are in Box 14, "NJ" is placed in Box 15 and put in a dummy number into the remaining section of Box 15 since there is no employer state number listed (did you check all over the form)?

Check that the withholdings appears in the payment section of your NJ tax return. 

Also, if you itemize, check that the withholdings show up on Sch. A. (if the tax section exceeds $10,000, it doesn't matter) 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS changed the boxes on Form 1099-R in 2020. If your 1099-R is for 2020 or later, whoever issued the 1099-R is using an outdated form. (Or are you looking at a 1099-R from 2019 or earlier?) You didn't say what year you are filing for. If you are working on a tax return for 2020 or later, enter the information in the correct boxes for the current IRS form, as DoninGA and NCperson said. You should be able to leave the payer's state number blank, or enter the federal ID number without the hyphen.

Make sure that the year of your 1099-R matches the year of the tax return you are working on. You have to report your 1099-R on your tax return for the year that the 1099-R is for. If you have further questions, please tell us what year's tax return you are working on, and what year is shown at the top of the 1099-R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies