Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Obrien2906
Returning Member

1099-R Corrected form for 2020

I was issued a 1099-R by a bank in which I have an IRA. Before the enactment of the 2020 CARE ACT I withdrew $30,000 to cover part of my 2020 RMD. Once I Iearned of the waiver of RMD requirement for 2020 I redeposited the $30,000 to my IRA account with the bank.

The had already sent $3,900 to the IRS for the taxes on the $30.000. They claimed they had no way to refund the $3,900 in taxes so it was decided to leave the taxes with the IRS until I filed my 2020 Taxes as i am trying to do at this moment. The $3,900 would then be returned to me as a TAX REFUND

The 1099-R corrected form that I have shows zero Gross Distribution and $3,900 in Federal Taxes Withheld.

Turbo tax will not allow me to e-file my taxes because of what I have explained .

HELP!!!!

Martin J O'Brien

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@Obrien2906 wrote:

I was issued a 1099-R by a bank in which I have an IRA. Before the enactment of the 2020 CARE ACT I withdrew $30,000 to cover part of my 2020 RMD. Once I Iearned of the waiver of RMD requirement for 2020 I redeposited the $30,000 to my IRA account with the bank.

The had already sent $3,900 to the IRS for the taxes on the $30.000. They claimed they had no way to refund the $3,900 in taxes so it was decided to leave the taxes with the IRS until I filed my 2020 Taxes as i am trying to do at this moment. The $3,900 would then be returned to me as a TAX REFUND

The 1099-R corrected form that I have shows zero Gross Distribution and $3,900 in Federal Taxes Withheld.

Turbo tax will not allow me to e-file my taxes because of what I have explained .

HELP!!!!

Martin J O'Brien

You must enter the 1099-R exactly as received.

The tax withheld in box 4 will be added to all other withholding on line 25 on the 1040 and be used to offset your total tax.   Any additional will be a refund.

Delete the 1099-R you entered and re-enter.

When you enter the 1099-R  Answer the RMD question that "None of this distribution was a RMD" or"RMD not required" depending on the TurboTax version - because it was NOT a RMD, there were no 2020 RMD's.

Then you will get the screen to say it was "moved" and all rolled over.

That will put the 1099-R box 1 amount on the 1040 form line 4a with the word ROLLOVER next to it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TurboTax will not accept a "corrected" 1099-R as you describe because it is incorrect.

The withholding can't be more than the distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies