Skip to main content
Level 2
March 12, 2023
Question

1099-NEC

  • March 12, 2023
  • 3 replies
  • 45 views

My daughter is 21 year old  full time student and she received 1099-NEC for 6000$. Turbotax does not ask me to declare her income. How do I declare her income? I am claiming her as dependent, as I am supporting her fully.

 

Does she need to file tax return?

 

Thanks

 

    3 replies

    Alumni - Intuit
    March 12, 2023

    Your daughter does need to file a return based on the 1099-NEC income. She is below the filing requirement if her income was reported on a W-2, but the 1099-NEC is for Nonemployee Compensation and is reported as self-employment income. Self-employment income over $400 is required to be reported on a tax return. She will not claim herself and file as a dependent. 

     

    Please see this TurboTax Help about Form 1099-NEC.

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
    mmdyAuthor
    Level 2
    March 13, 2023

    Thanks.

     

    Do I need to declare her income in my return?

    Alumni - Intuit
    March 13, 2023

    No, she would need to file her own return. The only income that you are able to add to your return is from 1099-INT and 1099-DIV. 

     

    @mmdy 

    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"