Skip to main content
Level 1
February 10, 2023
Solved

1099-nec for spiff received at work

  • February 10, 2023
  • 1 reply
  • 31 views

I received a 1099-nec for spiff received at work from a vendor.  I do not have a business, only employment is W2.  I enter the 1099-nec information, then it states to describe the reason, I typed spiff.  Then it asks about uncommon situations, I select None of these apply to me.  Then it says to select the business that generated this income.  It won't let me skip this step.  It won't let me continue and if I click the box, it then calculates self-employment income which is not correct.  How do I enter this 1099-nec?  It used to be on a 1099-misc and I never had any issues back then.

    Best answer by MayaD

    Report it as other Income on your Tax return. The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8

    • Open your return
    • Select Federal Taxes
    • Go to Wages & Income.
    • Scroll all the way down to "Less Common Income."
    • Click the Start or Update button next to "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
    • On the next screen, scroll down and click the Start or Update button next to "Other reportable income."
    • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
    • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount and continue.

    1 reply

    MayaDAnswer
    Alumni - Intuit
    February 10, 2023

    Report it as other Income on your Tax return. The income will be reported on Schedule 1 line 8

    • Open your return
    • Select Federal Taxes
    • Go to Wages & Income.
    • Scroll all the way down to "Less Common Income."
    • Click the Start or Update button next to "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
    • On the next screen, scroll down and click the Start or Update button next to "Other reportable income."
    • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
    • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount and continue.
    **Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post. **Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"