Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-MISc travel

Hi,

Part of my 1099-MISC includes money given pre-emptively to cover travel expenses for presenting my research at a 2024 conference. Can I include those expenses on the 2023 form since already booked plane and room, or how do I handle it?  Thank you kindly for your time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

1099-MISc travel

If you're reporting the 1099-Misc income as a one-time payment under Miscellaneous Income, you don't claim expenses against it.  Basically, you paid expenses and the 1099-Misc repaid you for them. 

If this applies to you, in the 1099-Misc section, be sure to indicate that this 'did not involve work like your main job' with 'no intent to earn money' to have it reported as miscellaneous income. 

However, if you are a self-employed consultant (or similar), you could report the income and expenses both on Schedule C.  Type 'Schedule C' in the Search area, and 'Jump to schedule c' to get to this section. 

Here's more info on Form 1099-Misc.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-MISc travel

Hi,

I'm a graduate student and the money was a travel grant I won to attend a conference and present my research. Which of the two is the best way to handle the grant. Also, if I do it the first way, how do list my expenses.  Thank you kindly for your time.

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

1099-MISc travel

If this is a one time payment, you should enter Form 1099-MISC as it is shown into the TurboTax program and answer any followup prompts accurately.  Be sure to answer that this payment "did not involve work like your main job" with "no intent to earn money" if this is the case.

You would go to Personal Income and scroll down to "Other Income" and enter your Form 1099-Misc as follows:

As per @MarilynG1 if you enter your Form 1099-Misc under "Miscellaneous Income" you do not enter expenses against it.  You are considering that that miscellaaneous income is paying you back for any expenses you may have incurred.

If you are self-employed and this income is related to that, you could report that income and related expenses on your Schedule C.

To do this you can search for your Schedule C information by typing "schedule c" in your search bar at the top right of your screen.

Click here for information on Form 1099-MISC.

Click here for "Where Do I Enter Form 1099-MISC?"

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies