turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help241
Returning Member

1099-MISC Research Study

Hello.  I participated in a medical research study and received a 1099-MISC Box 3.  It is over $1k.  I have never participated in a study before and do not do this for regular income.  I answered the questions accordingly.  The amount I received is appearing on 1040 Schedule 1, Line 8z. and impacted my taxes at my ordinary tax rate.  Is that correct?  For some reason I was thinking it would be taxed at 15%. 

(As a side note, at the end of entering this, it said something like--good news, we can look at business deductions later).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC Research Study

Reporting it on Schedule 1, 8z is accurate. This is other income not subject to self-employment.

It sounds like you followed the correct way to enter it:

Income from a health study is 'Other Income' and is not subject to self-employment. The amount will be in box 3 of your 1099-Misc.

Take the following steps:   

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, click  Continue your return, then pick up where I left off (if you are using TurboTax CD/ Download, then just open your return on your computer);  
  2. Click on Federal Taxes at the top of the screen;  
  3. Scroll down the page to the last section titled: 1099-Misc and Other Common Income 
  4. Select start or update next to the topic titled Income from Form 1099-Misc 
  5. Answer Yes, to the questions Did you get a 1099-Misc?; 
  6. Enter the information from your 1099-Misc; 
  7. Enter Medical Study for a reason for the 1099-Misc; 
  8. For uncommon situations, select [Name] was in a research study and this was the payment; 
  9. You will then be asked if you perform a service to earn the money, say No. 
  10. If you entered this any other way, make sure to delete the other entries. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Help241
Returning Member

1099-MISC Research Study

Thank you for your response.  I believe I have entered everything as you have described.  Can you tell me if it is correct that it is calculating taxes at my overall tax rate and not 15%?  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC Research Study

It is difficult to determine this without knowing the specifics of your return. You can easily check this out since you have the Home and Business Version of Turbo Tax.

• Go to the Forms Mode of your Program
  • Find your 1040, then select it.
  • Go to lines 15 and 16 on your 1040
  • Divide Line 16 by line 15. This will indicate your tax rate based on your reportable income and should answer your question.
Help241
Returning Member

1099-MISC Research Study

Thank you.  That is a lower rate than I'm seeing my research 1099-MISC calculate at.  I'm seeing my overall tax rate.  Is there anyplace else--any particular form or line number-- I should look to see if it may be calculating this research study payment at a higher rate than it should be?  I really believe I entered it correctly, but it's always possible something is off.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

1099-MISC Research Study

It depends. Check line 23 if additional taxes were reported here. If so, you may have have been assessed a self-employment tax. 

@Help241 

Help241
Returning Member

1099-MISC Research Study

That is zero, so that's encouraging.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies