Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Vaapad
Returning Member

1099-MISC For Value of Chase/Marriott Spend Incentive Bonus

I signed up for a Chase Marriott Boundless credit card in 2023 that offered three Marriott Certificates valued at up to 50,000 Marriott Points each in exchange for spending $3,000 on the card in the first three months.  Last week, I received a 1099-MISC for about $460, which appears to be Chase's established value for those certificates.  I have two questions.

1) My understanding is that those points certificates should NOT be taxable because they were in exchange for spending $3K, and thus are viewed by the IRS as a rebate on that $3K in purchases rather than as income -- just like a straight points bonus or a cash back bonus contingent on spending a certain amount of money on the credit card.  I understand that free points/bonuses that are NOT for consideration (ie just for opening the account, or referral bonuses) are taxable, but that is not my situation: this was in exchange for spend.  Is this correct?  If so, I'd love a source saying it shouldn't be taxable; and if not, I'd love to know how/why I'm wrong.

2) If my understanding is correct, how should I proceed?  The only thing I can think to do to avoid paying tax on this (non)income would be to declare it as normal when I file, but then add a line in Other Income as a negative of the same amount shown on the 1099-MISC, with an explanation (ie that it's a rebate).  Would that satisfy the IRS, and if so, how do I do this in TurboTax?  Is there a better way?

Thanks all.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The ongoing cash back bonus (1%, 2% of purchases, etc.) is a discount or rebate of the merchant fee charged to merchants by the bank, and is not taxable.  The initial signup bonus is generally considered taxable.  This Forbes article seems to get it right on both sides.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/are-credit-card-rewards-taxable/

Vaapad
Returning Member

By the text of this very article, it appears that I am correct.  See the last sentence in this excerpt: "This also applies to welcome bonuses received for opening a new credit card since customers generally have to spend a certain amount of money ... to receive a bonus." (my emphasis).

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 5.41.25 PM.png

Vaapad
Returning Member

If anyone can give some additional guidance, I'd still greatly appreciate it.  Thanks folks.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

It appears you received a rebate for spending (points for spending $XX).  That is not taxable.  Having said that, for some reason Chase treated the amount as taxable income and reported that to the IRS and sent you a copy of the 1099-Misc. Therefore you need to enter the form 1099-Misc in your tax return.  

You might first contact Chase to inquire what exactly the 1099-Misc amount represents.  They may explain that it is considered taxable income and give the reason/reference.  They might also determine that it should not have been taxable and issue a corrected 1099-Misc effectively cancelling the original.  Relieving you of the tax reporting burden.

If you can't come to an agreement with Chase and you still believe the amount is not taxable, then you can as you mention enter a negative amount as "Other Reportable Income" with a reason/description of "Bank card rebate".  The IRS may or may not question your determination.  

In TurboTax in the "Wages & Income" section:

1. Scroll to "Less Common Income"
  2. "Start/Revisit"  Miscellaneous Income
  3. "Start/Revisit" Other reportable income
  4. Enter your description and a negative amount to subtract the rebate amount
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies