Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JETT1

1099 misc for oil and gas royalties

I entered the 1099-misc under 1099's expecting it to be reduced when I entered additional royalty information, but it basically doubled the income.  The line number for state tax withholding is 16 on 1099Misc. form and in TurboTax. However, it is line15 on royalty side in TurboTax.  The state side did not recognize that it had been withheld when entered on royalty side.  But if I left it in 1099 side only, I couldn't report other expenses. My solution was to put only state withholding in the 1099 side and rest of info in royalty side. I think this is a bug in the program, and it is the first one I've seen in 20 years using TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I don't understand.

I entered the 1099-misc under 1099's expecting it to be reduced when I entered additional royalty information, but it basically doubled the income.  

• The 1099-MISC for Royalties is income.  I'm not sure why you thought the income would go down.

The line number for state tax withholding is 16 on 1099Misc. form and in TurboTax. However, it is line15 on royalty side in TurboTax. 

• Line 16 is State tax withheld.  Line 15 is Nonqual deferred compensation.

The state side did not recognize that it had been withheld when entered on royalty side.  But if I left it in 1099 side only, I couldn't report other expenses. My solution was to put only state withholding in the 1099 side and rest of info in royalty side. I think this is a bug in the program, and it is the first one I've seen in 20 years using TurboTax.

• I'm not sure where you're posting this.

I'm sure this is not a completely answer to your question, please contact us again and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JETT1

If you go to the rental and Royalties income section, there is also a 1099 misc form there too.  The line numbers are wrong on that one. Last year when I entered the 1099Misc it transferred the income to the royalties automatically, thus not doubling the income.

Since the 1099 misc under royalties uses line 15 instead of 16 for state tax withheld, it didn't pick it up on the state return, so I entered only the withholding on the 1099misc income and the rest on the 1099misc under royalties since that is where the expenses for the royalties can be reported.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies