Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

megkel3-

1099-MISC expenses for gas

I have a 1099-MISC tax form as I am self employed.  What gas can I deduct?  Does gas going to and from the building I am working at count as a deductible expense (sometimes I work at 2 different locations in a given week)?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It depends. You have 2 options: Standard mileage rate, or actual car expenses.

Standard mileage rate: You get a standard mileage rate per the IRS each year and you calculate the miles you drove for business and the program will calculate the mile deduction you take. For example lets say you drove 10,000 business miles for 2016 and the mileage rate was .54, you would get a  $5,400 deduction on your return.

Actual car expenses: This is where you would total up all of your car expenses for the year: gas, insurance, interest, repairs and maintence. Then you would calculate the percentage of business miles that you drove last year. For example lets say the business miles driven was 32% of your total yearly mileage and all of your car expenses added up to be: $6,500 then you would get to deduct $2,080 on your return. 

Most business people find it easier to keep up with mileage and use that method. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

where do you enter this in turbo tax
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It depends. You have 2 options: Standard mileage rate, or actual car expenses.

Standard mileage rate: You get a standard mileage rate per the IRS each year and you calculate the miles you drove for business and the program will calculate the mile deduction you take. For example lets say you drove 10,000 business miles for 2016 and the mileage rate was .54, you would get a  $5,400 deduction on your return.

Actual car expenses: This is where you would total up all of your car expenses for the year: gas, insurance, interest, repairs and maintence. Then you would calculate the percentage of business miles that you drove last year. For example lets say the business miles driven was 32% of your total yearly mileage and all of your car expenses added up to be: $6,500 then you would get to deduct $2,080 on your return. 

Most business people find it easier to keep up with mileage and use that method. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies