Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-MISC - asking for Schedule C

I invested money with a wealth management company, which invests my cash in structured notes.

I got 1099-MISC. I put the income in box #3, other income.

Now Turbo Tax "Smart Check" is asking to select Schedule C or Form 4835 or Schedule F. This is not farm income, so Form 4835 or Schedule F does not apply. That means it is only Schedule C.

Schedule C asks for a business name, address, accounting method, and who operated the business (self or spouse). This is not a business run by us. This is simply income from investment. What should I fill out here? Or how do I avoid this schedule C?

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After you have entered the Form 1099-MISC with Other Income in box 3, there is a following screen asking you Does one of these uncommon situations apply?  Did you select None of these apply?

If you did select that then the next screen asks you if this involved income that's like your main job.  Did you answer NO?  A following screen then asks you Did this involve an intent to earn money.  Did you answer NO?

If you answered these questions appropriately the amount entered from the 1099-MISC would be entered on Schedule 1 Line 8z.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You probably want this to be shown as other income on Schedule 1 (Line 8z).

I believe you need to answer the question as to whether you intended to earn income in the negative.

This is income, not a loss. So, I need to show that I earned this.

How do I add it to schedule 1? Once I add 1099-misc, TTax expect it to be schedule C, F or form 4835.

After you have entered the Form 1099-MISC with Other Income in box 3, there is a following screen asking you Does one of these uncommon situations apply?  Did you select None of these apply?

If you did select that then the next screen asks you if this involved income that's like your main job.  Did you answer NO?  A following screen then asks you Did this involve an intent to earn money.  Did you answer NO?

If you answered these questions appropriately the amount entered from the 1099-MISC would be entered on Schedule 1 Line 8z.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies