Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jcoop1
Returning Member

1099 Jobs

I have worked 2 1099 jobs this year (Doordash, customer service) thus far. Of course, I have bought and used my own personal resources to carry out the responsibilities. Are there any things I can do now to prepare for the 2022 tax year? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
shirleyh88
Employee Tax Expert

1099 Jobs

Hello Jcoop1,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your tax question.

Congratulations on having two 1099 jobs.

Being a 1099 worker, you are considered a contractor by the company you are working for. By being a contractor, you can actually receive more tax deductions such as business mileage, meal deductions, home office expenses, work phone, internet costs. These deductions can be used to reduce your taxable income such that you may owe less taxes when you file your tax return. For example, if you use your personal cell phone to communicate with customers for your Doordash job, then you can deduct a portion of your cell phone bill as a business expense. The same applies to your vehicle mileage, internet costs, etc.

Going forward for the 2022 tax year, the key is to keep good business records such as your receipts, utility bills, cell phone bills, etc. You can start by using an Excel spreadsheet to record your expenses. Once your business progresses, you can use a business and financial tool such as QuickBooks to record your income and expenses. You can then generate a financial report in QuickBooks that will provide you with financial information on how your business is doing.

Keep in mind though that since you are self-employed, you will have to pay one-half of self-employed taxes. Additionally, since you do not have an employer who withholds your Social Security and Medicare taxes, you would need to pay quarterly estimated taxes to the IRS if you expect to owe tax of $1,000 or higher when you file your tax return in 2022.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Have a great day! Thank you!

Regards,

Shirleyh88

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jcoop1
Returning Member

1099 Jobs

Do you mind sharing more information about the quarterly taxes, how to determine if these will be owed, and how to do so?

shirleyh88
Employee Tax Expert

1099 Jobs

Hello Jcoop1,

Thank you for your additional tax question. I will be more than happy to assist.

If you are self-employed and you receive income other than your salary, and if you expect to owe more than $1,000 in federal taxes, you may need to make estimated quarterly tax payments using Form 1040-ES. Otherwise, you may incur a penalty for underpayment.

Below are two links that you can refer to regarding quarterly estimated taxes:  

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/self-employed/self-employed-dont-forget-about-the-estimated-tax-dea...

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/small-business-taxes/estimated-taxes-how-to-determine-what-to-p...

Please let me know if you have additional questions. Have a great day! Thank you!

Regards,

Shirleyh88

Jcoop1
Returning Member

1099 Jobs

Yes, I wanted to know how to determine if these taxes will be owed.

shirleyh88
Employee Tax Expert

1099 Jobs

Hello Jcoop1,

Please refer to the two articles that are posted on the above response. These articles will help you determine if you owe the estimated taxes.

Regards,

Shirleyh88

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies