Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B Unknown Term

Received 1099-B from Morgan Stanley and E*Trade. Two stocks I sold were reported as Unknown Term. Not sure what there issue is as the info was readily available in my account. Can I just fill in the information for acquisition date and cost basis myself or do I need a revised 1099-B from MS and E*Trade. Also under "Sales Section" for that Stock in TurboTax do I select "Unknown Term Basis Not Reported to IRS" and then check the box for "The cost basis is incorrect and missing on my 1099-B" while also filling in the date of purchase and the cost basis?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

1099-B Unknown Term

Yes, you can fill in the acquisition date and the cost basis yourself. In TurboTax you should select long or short term basis not report to IRS based on your acquisition date.

1. Long term: held more than one year (one year plus one day)
  2. Short term: held one year or less

In TurboTax use the Search (upper right) > Type 1099b > Click the Jump to... Link

Scroll to the stocks that need your attention and make the necessary entries (acquisition date and cost basis).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

1099-B Unknown Term

Yes, you can fill in the acquisition date and the cost basis yourself. In TurboTax you should select long or short term basis not report to IRS based on your acquisition date.

1. Long term: held more than one year (one year plus one day)
  2. Short term: held one year or less

In TurboTax use the Search (upper right) > Type 1099b > Click the Jump to... Link

Scroll to the stocks that need your attention and make the necessary entries (acquisition date and cost basis).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-B Unknown Term

Thank you!

1099-B Unknown Term

Not sure bit there have been multiple threads about issues when importing stock sales from MS. check the data carefully  to the actual 1099-B

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies