turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Curtis17
Returning Member

1099--B Line18. Column D

TT has flagged that I need to report the value reported in my 1099-B Worksheet (Morgan Stanley) from Line 18, Column (d).  However my  1099-B from Morgan Stanley doesn't even report a "Line 18. Column (d)." .....It's not just that there is no number reported, there isn't even a line 18.   What should I do?

Note.  The transaction in question involved an insignificant amount of money (i.e. proceeds of only $134.87 vs. a cost basis of $133.37).  I initiated this sale in the process of permanently closing out my Morgan Stanley account.

For the sake of moving on with my tax return, can I just force a number to satisfy the TT request and not trigger questions from the IRS?  Based on the dollar amount in question, the tax impact should be negligible.

Your timely reply will be appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099--B Line18. Column D

Line 18  isn't included on a standard Form 1099-B, so I'm not sure what information is being requested. There is a line 18 on a W-2 form entry, for local wages. I suggest you make sure the request is referencing a Form 1099-B entry.  You are correct that an entry of a nominal amount here will have a negligible effect on the accuracy of your tax return, assuming Form 1099-B is being referenced in the error message.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Curtis17
Returning Member

1099--B Line18. Column D

Thanks for the feedback.  It is referencing "Line 18 Column (d)" from form 1099-B, not a W-2.  Although I have seen several people on this website  imply that this error is due to Morgan Stanley, it has to be a TurboTax snafu.

That said, the TT software would not even allow me to delete and re-input the information.  Fortunately, I finally just hit "continue" several times and eventually I was able to move on.  Note, as I moved along which each "continue," it then requested info from "columns C and G" as well.  And of course, these also don't exist on a 1099-B. 

As you stated, the tax impact for me should be negligible, so I will just ignore it and move on.

Thank you for your input.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies