Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mary1930
Returning Member

1096 help and wich option to use on turbo tax

different topics out there but not answering my question. we had to pay a caretaker last year for the first time. she is asking for a 1099-misc i understand we need to complete a 1096 and send it in to the IRS,   will turbo tax help us do "ALL of Those Things?  if so which verson do i use we lawyas used delxue for personal.  also IRS states we need to complete 1096 and file or send electroniclay an di want to confirm Intuit will do it all without us doing anything else.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

are you sure 1096/1099 and not w-2/w-3?

if you employed an individual as a household employee/caregiver then a W-2/w-3 would seem to be the proper forms.  whereas you employ a business that you pay for the caregiver services then a 1096/0199

regardless of which, you need TurboTax Business which will only run on a windows computer.  check other system requirements.  This software can not be used to prepare your individual return

for your 1040, you can use either the online or desktop software.  check system requirements 

windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

mary1930
Returning Member

the caregiver only works a few hours a week and works for other familys,. we call her when we need her and she will sometimes say no.  to my understanding since she does not work regular hours and works only when she can and she is a independent contractor.  as i said she works for other familys also but i have no idea on how they report her expense.  you stated my mom / mother in law has to complete the business version for taxes??

there is no way to generate a 1099 and 1096 under the personal version? UGH so complicated 

my mom would have no income if she did this as a business., her only income is her SS# and retiement income.  "Calgon take me away"...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies