turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JSS1342

1096 cover on 1099-A

Hello, my question is:

If I issue my child (7 year old) on a 1099-A will this affect the other parents ability to claim the child as a dependant ? 

If yes, then I would think twice before proceeding with the 1099-A. 

Thank you in advance for helping me to understand. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

1096 cover on 1099-A

Check back. I'll page @Mike9241.

1096 cover on 1099-A

Do you mean a 1099NEC?  A 1 099A is for Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property.

No that won't affect someone from claiming them as a dependent.   But they may have to file a return.  Be sure on the child's return they check the box that says they can be claimed on someone else’s return.

Filing requirements for a dependent
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

JSS1342

1096 cover on 1099-A

I double checked and yes, it's a 1099-A. 

Acquisition or abandonment of secured property is correct.

It sounds like ide claim my child as my property if went and filled out this form ? 

But I wouldn't want it to affect the other parent if so. 

Has anyone here issued 1096 and 1099-A on a person ? 

More info on this matter would help. 

Thank you. Bless you. 

1096 cover on 1099-A

As others have said, you do not file a 1099-A to claim a dependent on your 1040.  We don't know what you are doing. Assuming you are using online Turbotax Home and Business you should be creating a 1099-NEC for the comp paid to him (which may be improper since the child might more properly be an employee in which case a w-2 should be completed but that would also complicate matters). regardless you are filing that form late so expect a notice from the IRS.  Also you report his income on his return not yours. so you need another online account to do his return  and e is required to file for 2023. yuo can use the same e-mail address for both.

the way to add a dependent to your return in Turbotax is to go to th personal info tab. go doen to dependents and then click edit.

latter in the personal info section make sure you're using the correct filing status.  

JSS1342

1096 cover on 1099-A

Thank you, but that's not what I've asked about. 

I appreciate the help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies