Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Censingroom99
Returning Member

1095-A, does my parent need to file if I claimed 100%

Hello, me and my mother make less than the required gross income amount to file taxes. I make $8601 and decided to file a tax return for my future FAFSA. My mother received a 1095-A form as the receipt from the Texas marketplace and we had received $1448 in (C. )Monthly advance payment of premium tax credit. I decided to claim 100% of all the percentages on the 1095-A as I am a covered individual on the form. With that being said, does this still mean she needs to complete her own tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, she will need to include that on her return as well.  If your brother is not a dependent, he will have to list it on his return too.  It is fine if you take 100% of the allocation, but then they need to enter 0% on their returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Is she listed at all on the 1095-A? How old are you?  Are you still a dependent?  If you are a dependent on your mothers return, then you would not enter it on your return, your mother would need to enter it on her return.  

If you are filing for a future FAFSA, I am assuming you are still in high school?  

Censingroom99
Returning Member

She is listed as the recipient on line 4. I am 25 and she is 56. My FAFSA is for my senior year of university and I am not listed as her dependent. I have already filed my return with 100% on all percentages, should I amend it?

I just want to know if my mother now has to do a tax return?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you mother was not insured on the policy, she would not need to file a tax return to report the 1095-A, especially since you, as the covered individual reported 100% of the allocation on your return. The Recipient is often just a responsible adult in the household, designated to receive correspondence. 

Here's more info on Form 1095-A. 

@Censingroom99

Censingroom99
Returning Member

I don't know if she is insured, I just know that I (25), my brother (21),  and my mother are listed in Part II of 1095-A as covered individuals, and my mother is also listed as the recipient. So does she still have to do the tax return? She makes 13300$ gross income for reference, as the head of the household.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, she will need to include that on her return as well.  If your brother is not a dependent, he will have to list it on his return too.  It is fine if you take 100% of the allocation, but then they need to enter 0% on their returns.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies