I was late paying the Jan 15, 2021 1040ES. What will happen next. Can I file 2020 taxes and include the amount I paid late? Should I wait till the IRS cashes the check before filing?
Yes, you can include the amount but be sure to adjust the payment date to ensure your tax return is prepared accurately.
You can edit your payment dates in the federal section of the program.
- Select Deductions & Credits
- Scroll down through All Tax Breaks and select Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
- Select Estimated Tax Payments
- Select State estimated taxes for 2020
- Select Yes to indicate you did pay estimates for 2020
- Proceed to enter your payments with the date paid as applicable
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"