Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1040 Line 16 - TurboTax accuracy?

Hi!  The tax that TurboTax enters on Line 16 of my Form 1040 doesn't match what I come up with when I use the IRS 2022 Tax Computation Worksheet for Line 16.  Specifically, TurboTax enters $25,804 on Line 16, but when I use the formula for my income level shown in the 2022 Tax Computation Worksheet, Section B ("Married filing jointly", which is my status), I get $25,826.80.  A difference of $22.80.  I can't figure out why.  Does anyone have an idea why this would be?  Should I be concerned about this, or am I just missing something?  Thanks very much to anyone who can help me!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

One possiblity is that you have some capital gain income or qualifed dividends which would require a special calculation. If so you will see a qualified dividends and capital gain tax worksheet when you print your return that will show you how the tax is calculated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

One possiblity is that you have some capital gain income or qualifed dividends which would require a special calculation. If so you will see a qualified dividends and capital gain tax worksheet when you print your return that will show you how the tax is calculated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much ThomasM125!  I checked my return, and sure enough: the qualified dividends and capital gain tax worksheet clears up this mystery.  Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies