turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

401k plan rollover to IRAs

Can I rollover 401K assets to two or more different IRAs (some are ROTH and some are traditional)

within the same tax year?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MariaDG
Employee Tax Expert

Hi there!  I'm not sure if you're referring to rolling multiple 401K accounts into various IRAs, splitting one 401K between several IRA accounts, or rolling a 401K to one IRA, then changing your mind and rolling it to another.  
However, I can tell you that the once per year rule does not apply to a 401K rollover, and you can roll over multiple 401K accounts (or other qualified plans) to a Roth IRA in a year.  These are typically done as a direct (or trustee to trustee) rollover, which means the check is made payable to the new plan, not to you personally.  Therefore its not considered a distribution.  

(If you do 60 day rollovers, which involve withdrawing funds from an IRA or Roth IRA and depositing it in a new one within 60 days, you would be limited to once per year.  The consequence of this would be paying income tax plus a 10% penalty on the distribution, and potentially also an excess contribution penalty. )

Thanks.

I am referring to rolling over the same 401K plan to the same or several different ROTH IRA's

or regular IRA's over the course of one tax year but in chunks.

Does your reply still hold for the above?

MariaDG
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can split your 401K rollover between various IRA accounts as long as your plan administrator allows it.  You'd have to check with them. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies