turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I be able to deduct business mileage in 2019?

I travel a lot for work not to my main office. I usually deduct the mileage from my taxes as my employer doesn't reimburse me. Will I be able to deduct the mileage in 2019 under the new tax law?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I think you mean 2018, and the answer is no. For W-2 employees, that type of miscellaneous itemized deduction has been discontinued. On the other hand, the standard deduction has been increased. You may want to discuss your travel arrangements with your employer.    Your employer is still allowed to reimburse you for your expenses tax-free as long as you submit proof, such as a mileage log or other records. 

If you are self employed, you can still deduct work related miles, the rules have not changed.

Should an employer reimburse and employee for mileage and is it 54 cents per mile?

Your employer can make any reimbursement policy they want.  They don’t have to reimburse for work travel at all, or they can pay less than the IRS rate.  If they pay more than the IRS rate, the excess must be reported as taxable income.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies