turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b-redd

I over funded my hsa in 2017 but had my bank remove the excess funds last month. TurboTax asks how much I put toward my hsa; do I list the original or corrected amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I over funded my hsa in 2017 but had my bank remove the excess funds last month. TurboTax asks how much I put toward my hsa; do I list the original or corrected amount?

You will indicate the original amount since that is reported to the IRS. 

Then you will come to a question asking you if you overfunded your HSA.  You will answer Yes. 

After that TurboTax will ask you how you plan to remove it prior to tax deadline and you will answer that it has been done.  This will exempt you from the penalty.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

You will indicate the original amount since that is reported to the IRS. 

Then you will come to a question asking you if you overfunded your HSA.  You will answer Yes. 

After that TurboTax will ask you how you plan to remove it prior to tax deadline and you will answer that it has been done.  This will exempt you from the penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies