Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IM

How can I depreciate unrecovered basis in listed property (car) 100% own by S-corp (IRS allows $1775 annually after recov. period is over). How to add it to form 4562?

How can I depreciate unrecovered basis in listed property (automobile) which is an asset in S-corporation (100% business). The recovery period of 5 years is over but I still have basis I can depreciate and IRS allows to depreciate $1775 annually . How to add it to form 4562? 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

How can I depreciate unrecovered basis in listed property (car) 100% own by S-corp (IRS allows $1775 annually after recov. period is over). How to add it to form 4562?

You should add the vehicle as an asset for depreciation. Based on your dates, the software will recognize that you are claiming unrecovered basis. Head into Federal Taxes tab >>> Deductions >>> the first section Depreciation of Assets >>> add your vehicle 

You are correct that the amount you can deduct is the lessor of $1775 or your basis, so the software will track this for you. You qualify as long as you continue to use it 100% for business.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AmandaR1

You should add the vehicle as an asset for depreciation. Based on your dates, the software will recognize that you are claiming unrecovered basis. Head into Federal Taxes tab >>> Deductions >>> the first section Depreciation of Assets >>> add your vehicle 

You are correct that the amount you can deduct is the lessor of $1775 or your basis, so the software will track this for you. You qualify as long as you continue to use it 100% for business.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies