Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

How do you enter taking the childcare credit and not the child tax credit? The program appears to require me to add child to take child tax credit in order to get the childcare credit.

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

To get the childcare credit you need to go to Federal>Deductions and Credits>You and Your Family>Child and Dependent Care Credit

You do have to be the custodial parent to get the childcare credit.  If you are filing a joint return you must show income from both parents.

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

Thank you for your response.  I have added my child and I am the custodial parent, however it still adds the child tax credit.  I do not see a question asking if someone else will claim the child as an exemption.  Is there another question I need to answer to prompt this question to come up?  Thanks

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

That question occurs in My Info during the questions you have to answer when you are entering the dependent's information.  If you are signing a form 8332 for the other parent, then go back to My Info and edit.

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

You list the child, say they lived with you, but say the other parent can claim them.  Then the other parent gets the exemption and the child tax credit but you get the child care credit.

Childcare credit vs Child Tax Credit

Thank you I do not see a question asking if someone else will claim the child as an exemption.  Is there another question I need to answer to prompt this question to come up?  Thanks