Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cerskip1

I cannot depreciate a building for 40 years. Instead, Turbotax puts in 31.5. How do I get it to use 40 years? This is commercial property, not residential.

I am using the Premier version and trying to depreciate business rental property at 40 years.  Turbotax puts it in as 31.5.  What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I cannot depreciate a building for 40 years. Instead, Turbotax puts in 31.5. How do I get it to use 40 years? This is commercial property, not residential.

You have to have the right asset code.  In the interview for a new asset, under type: other; next page: Non-residential R.E.   Or on the Asset Entry Worksheet in Forms, use the drop down menu under Type of asset, and choose J1 - non-residential.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have to have the right asset code.  In the interview for a new asset, under type: other; next page: Non-residential R.E.   Or on the Asset Entry Worksheet in Forms, use the drop down menu under Type of asset, and choose J1 - non-residential.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies