turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jshill35

If fed return uses standard deduction, how do I change VA state return to itemized deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cindy0H

If fed return uses standard deduction, how do I change VA state return to itemized deductions?

You cannot change from standard to itemized deductions on the Virginia return. According to the Virginia Tax:

If you claimed the standard deduction on your federal income tax return, you must also claim the standard deduction on your Virginia return. 

If you claim itemized deductions on your federal income tax return, you must also itemize your deductions on your Virginia return. This requirement applies even if using the standard deduction would result in a greater tax benefit on your Virginia return.

Here is the full page about deductions in Virginia:

https://tax.virginia.gov/deductions

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Cindy0H

You cannot change from standard to itemized deductions on the Virginia return. According to the Virginia Tax:

If you claimed the standard deduction on your federal income tax return, you must also claim the standard deduction on your Virginia return. 

If you claim itemized deductions on your federal income tax return, you must also itemize your deductions on your Virginia return. This requirement applies even if using the standard deduction would result in a greater tax benefit on your Virginia return.

Here is the full page about deductions in Virginia:

https://tax.virginia.gov/deductions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies