turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

modfy08

Sold home w/ installment. Price originally paid & sold for was $5,000 more. Do list as installment or not since not enough gain?

The program says I don't have to list home on taxes cause it was not enough of a gain but then if I use the form they said for the installment, they want me to pay taxes on the interest. If I total the interest for the whole installment plus the $5,000 we made one the house, it would only be a gain of 8,507.12 total

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Sold home w/ installment. Price originally paid & sold for was $5,000 more. Do list as installment or not since not enough gain?

You can exclude the gain on the sale of your residence if you qualify even if you sold it in an installment sale, but the interest that you receive each year will be taxable no matter what. That's not part of the gain on the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You can exclude the gain on the sale of your residence if you qualify even if you sold it in an installment sale, but the interest that you receive each year will be taxable no matter what. That's not part of the gain on the sale.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies