Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I claim all my business expenses even if my expenses are higher than my income ?

My business involves buying inventory almost every time I get a job. Sometimes I don't  have money in my business account so I use my personal income . which resulted  into maxing my credit line . I just looked at my accounting system and my income is $20k+ And my expenses are around $18$ . I still have a bunch of receipts I need to enter and I think my expenses will be higher than my in income.
1. Do I claim all those expenses?
2. As sole proprietor who is employed full time as well, what do I have to claim and not ? should I claim all the money I put into my business? Please advise . I have a bunch other questions before filling
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I claim all my business expenses even if my expenses are higher than my income ?

You can claim all business related expenses. as for inventory that which has not been sold. you would have to under cost of goods sold. you can go to this by going to top left under view drop down to forms, click on schedule C scroll down the form to part III cost of goods sold. you will put in your purchases for resale and ending inventory at year end. beginning inventory assuming you did not do this last year 2015 tax return would be 0. as for money you personally put into your company you can not expense. either the company owes you this money and or you actually used your personal cash for business expenses. then that's where the money is used and actually receipts and business expense you write off. Yes your expenses can exceed your income.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim all business related expenses. as for inventory that which has not been sold. you would have to under cost of goods sold. you can go to this by going to top left under view drop down to forms, click on schedule C scroll down the form to part III cost of goods sold. you will put in your purchases for resale and ending inventory at year end. beginning inventory assuming you did not do this last year 2015 tax return would be 0. as for money you personally put into your company you can not expense. either the company owes you this money and or you actually used your personal cash for business expenses. then that's where the money is used and actually receipts and business expense you write off. Yes your expenses can exceed your income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies