turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lucia

I own 2 houses: 1) my primary home; 2) another home my parents live in which has been paid off. Can I still deduct the properties taxes I paid on their house?

No rent is collected on my parents home if this makes a difference.  Also, I'm already claiming a deduction on the property taxes I paid for my primary home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

I own 2 houses: 1) my primary home; 2) another home my parents live in which has been paid off. Can I still deduct the properties taxes I paid on their house?

Yes, you may deduct the property tax as an itemized deduction since it is only being used for personal use. Please see the FAQ below for more information.

Can I deduct real estate tax?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

Serinde

I have the same situation, except I have a small mortgage on my parent house, that I pay.  I did as the turbo tax response said.  Now however I need to sell the house and by them a smaller condo, I plan to roll the profits from this home into the condo.  My real estate agent suggested doing a 1031 exchange tp ease the capital gains.  But I don’t have the property listed as an investment property.  Would it still be eligible?  Or will I just owe the capital gains even though I am reinvesting?

If this was never a RENTAL property then a 1031 exchange would not be appropriate ...  so if this was a second home that you let your parents live in  you will have a reportable sale on which capital gains will be taxed.  Purchasing another property with the proceeds of the sale are immaterial. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies