turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do fees to my webmaster for doing my website count as "legal and professional expenses"? Is that the right way to enter this deductible expense?

I'm a self employed private tutor and this is my main source of income.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Do fees to my webmaster for doing my website count as "legal and professional expenses"? Is that the right way to enter this deductible expense?

Yes, you could categorize your webmaster fees as professional fees.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I gave my webmaster a 1099-Misc form for doing this job, is this still the right category to enter this expense?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes.

Thanks again. I am reading under the "comisions expenses" explanation on TurboTax this: "If you paid an independent contractor or freelancer $600 or more for services on a project and did not withhold any type of taxes, you are required to send that contractor, and the IRS, a Form 1099-MISC." I paid my webmaster $1,700 for creating my website. Should this still count as a "professional fee" or should I rather enter it as a "comision expense"? I am a little confused.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

The fees you paid is not really a commission. It is a professional fee which is deductible as a business expense. In fact, the IRS is very flexible on the classification of expenses. The important factor is whether the expense is ordinary and necessary to your business. In this case, it clearly is.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies