Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I started work in December 2017 as a fitness instructor, but didn't get paid until January of 2018 so I didn't get a 1099. Can I still deduct mileage from work in 2017.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DS30

I started work in December 2017 as a fitness instructor, but didn't get paid until January of 2018 so I didn't get a 1099. Can I still deduct mileage from work in 2017.

Yes, you can deduct the mileage in the year you incurred the expenses, even if you did not receive any income related to the expenses until the following year.

Please note that employee job-related expenses are not fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule. and you will only be able to claim them if you itemize

To enter your employee job-related expenses in TurboTax Online or Desktop (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here), please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “see all tax breaks”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Employment Expenses”
  5. Choose "show more", then Job expenses for W-2 income and follow the onscreen instructions.

To deduct business miles for self-employed in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here), click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Business" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Business Income and Expense" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense”
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6. You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Business Vehicle Expense".

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DS30

Yes, you can deduct the mileage in the year you incurred the expenses, even if you did not receive any income related to the expenses until the following year.

Please note that employee job-related expenses are not fully deductible as they are subject to the 2% rule. and you will only be able to claim them if you itemize

To enter your employee job-related expenses in TurboTax Online or Desktop (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here), please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “see all tax breaks”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Employment Expenses”
  5. Choose "show more", then Job expenses for W-2 income and follow the onscreen instructions.

To deduct business miles for self-employed in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here), click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Business" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Business Income and Expense" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Business Income and Expense”
  4. Choose “Profit or Loss from Business ” and select start/revisit/update.
  5. If your business is already listed, choose to "edit"
  6. You will eventually get to a screen titled "Your () Business"
  7. Scroll down to Business Expenses and select "Business Vehicle Expense".

Please refer to this IRS link for more information about Transportation Costs

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies