turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lfc9090

Can I deduct expenses to continue my business and use healthcare premiums to offset self-employed income?

Am self-employed and, at age 62, decided to take my social security. Have self-employed income under the 2018 social security limit for this year and, will likely do additional self-employed work in future years within the IRS income limits. Can I continue to deduct expenses to maintain my business and use my healthcare premiums to offset income for the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct expenses to continue my business and use healthcare premiums to offset self-employed income?

Yes, you can continue your business and as long as you have a profit health care premiums can be a deduction. 

The deduction will appear on line 29 of the Form 1040 however and not as a deduction on the Sch C. 

If you are self-employed, you may be eligible to deduct premiums that you pay for medical, dental and qualifying long-term care insurance coverage for yourself, your spouse and your dependents. ... Unlike an itemized deduction, this deduction treatment is beneficial because it lowers your adjusted gross income (AGI).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you can continue your business and as long as you have a profit health care premiums can be a deduction. 

The deduction will appear on line 29 of the Form 1040 however and not as a deduction on the Sch C. 

If you are self-employed, you may be eligible to deduct premiums that you pay for medical, dental and qualifying long-term care insurance coverage for yourself, your spouse and your dependents. ... Unlike an itemized deduction, this deduction treatment is beneficial because it lowers your adjusted gross income (AGI).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies