Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can condo building improvements for new roof and Windows paid through special assessments by me be depreciated since I have an in home office? And deductAssociation dues?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Can condo building improvements for new roof and Windows paid through special assessments by me be depreciated since I have an in home office? And deductAssociation dues?

Yes, the special assessments and the association dues may be used as expenses on your return related to your home office. 

However, you are not able to claim the full amount of these.  You would only be able to claim the portion that is associated with your home office.  This is determined by the square feet of your office space as compared to the square feet of your whole condo. 

TurboTax will do this calculation for you if you enter the expenses in the section for the home office that is related to the total expenses for the home, not the home office.  Read each screen carefully to be sure you are in the right place.  (There is also a separate input screen for expenses related to the home office only.)

One more note, if you use the simplified method to claim your home office expense (based solely on the square feet of the office), you would not enter these expenses at all. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies