Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m filling an injured spouse form. We have four kids. how would I make sure to get the most money back? Can I put all 4 kids under me on the form? I’m in bad shape

I’m trying to figure out how to get the most back on an injured spouse form. My husband made more money but our refund was offset from a student loan. We have four kids and I’m about to have another one anytime. He’s out of work due to a fall and surgery and he is our only income now. Can I claim all four kids on the form to get more money back? Please help! I am so confused. Thank you 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

I’m filling an injured spouse form. We have four kids. how would I make sure to get the most money back? Can I put all 4 kids under me on the form? I’m in bad shape

Yes, the form, and the IRS' instructions, can be extremely confusing.  It's fine if you allocate the four kids to yourself. 

Here are the IRS' Form 8379 Instructions.  As I say, they're pretty confusing, but they may be of help. 

One pointer:  do not allocate any Earned Income Credit you might get on your return -- the IRS will do this, itself.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Yes, the form, and the IRS' instructions, can be extremely confusing.  It's fine if you allocate the four kids to yourself. 

Here are the IRS' Form 8379 Instructions.  As I say, they're pretty confusing, but they may be of help. 

One pointer:  do not allocate any Earned Income Credit you might get on your return -- the IRS will do this, itself.

Thank you so much! Yes, I am extremely confused as to how to file this form. It doesn’t help that I’m having pregnancy complications and can’t think straight. If I efiled, do I do the form that way or send it in?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If you haven't already filed, efile it with your return. Otherwise, mail it in.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies