Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Writing off Home Office Expenses as a Work From Home W2 and 1099 Worker

In 2023 I will be working 2 jobs, 1 will be a full-time salary position(W2), and the other will be an independent contractor position(1099), but both allow me to work from home. Since I'm a 1099 worker I know I have the ability to write off home office expenses, but that job is only a couple hours a week (2-3 hours ). I want to upgrade my home office this year, and that will increase productivity for both my jobs. So here are the questions I have.

Am I allowed to make purchases for my 1099 job with income from my W2 job?
If yes, am I able to deduct those purchases from my 1099 job?

If yes, what will happen if my deductions are over the net income of my 1099 job?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Writing off Home Office Expenses as a Work From Home W2 and 1099 Worker

You will not be able to claim a home office expense since it is not being used exclusively for your trade or business.

IRS Publication 587 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf

To qualify under the exclusive use test, you must use a specific area of your home only for your trade or business.
The area used for business can be a room or other separately identifiable space. The space does not need to be marked off by a permanent partition.
You do not meet the requirements of the exclusive use test if you use the area in question both for business and for personal purposes.

Self-employment expenses can be paid from funds other than from self-employment income.

If your self-employment expenses are greater than your self-employment income then you will have a Net loss when reporting your self-employment on Schedule C.  The loss is reported on your personal tax return, Schedule 1 Line 3 and flows to Form 1040 Line 8.  The loss will reduce your Adjusted Gross Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies