Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abockian

Would the Non-reimbursed medical expenses for NJ include payments for doctor's visits, dental care, hospital care, eye examinations, eyeglasses, medicine, and lab work?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
PaulaM
Employee Tax Expert

Would the Non-reimbursed medical expenses for NJ include payments for doctor's visits, dental care, hospital care, eye examinations, eyeglasses, medicine, and lab work?

Yes. Only the expenses that exceed 2% of your income can be deducted. 

Some examples of allowable medical expenses are: payments for doctor's visits, dental care, hospital care, eye examinations, eyeglasses, medicine, and x-rays or other diagnostic services directed by your physician or dentist. Insurance premiums, including amounts paid under Social Security for Medicare, can be used as medical deductions. You also can deduct transportation costs that are allowable on your federal return.

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit13.shtml

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
tmorgan32
Returning Member

on Worksheet F for NJ medical expenses, Line 1a is the non-reimbursed medical expenses are the costs I paid out of pocket?  What does Line 1b consist of, NJ medical insurance premiums included in NJ wages but not Federal wages?  Would i find that number on my W-2?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, non-reimbursed medical expenses are the cost you paid out of pocket, but did not get reimbursed through your employer, insurance company or HSA for.

NJ medical insurance premiums included in NJ wages but not Federal wages would be if you have insurance through your employer, your premiums that you pay, are not included on line 1 of your W2, but are included in your state wages for some states.  If this is your situation, you would see that box 1 is less than box 16.  Generally, box 14 of your W2 will show your health insurance premiums that were not included in your federal income. 

tmorgan32
Returning Member

My box 1 is lower than my NJ wages box 16.  For Line 1b on worksheet F would I use the amount in section 125 in box 14?

Precisely. See HERE. The heath insurance paid by the employer with pretax dollars is not taxable and is not included on Box 1 of the federal W2. It is taxable for NJ purposes and as such the Box 16 wages for NJ would be a higher amount than the Box 1 for the federal requiring to be deducted on NJ as an itemized deduction subject to 2% over NJ AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies