Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working Dependent

Hello,

my son, who is 20 years old, worked part-time for 5 months (March-July 2024) and is also a part-time college student. Will I be able to claim the Child Tax Credit for him? Will I be able to claim him as a dependent? Thank you kindly for your advice.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Working Dependent

If his gross income in 2024 is $5,050 or more then you will not be able to claim him as a dependent on your 20204 tax return since he is not a full time student.  Since he is older than 16 he is not eligible for the child tax credit.

If his income is less than $5,050 in 2024 you may be able to claim him under the Qualifying Relative rules and be eligible for the Other Dependent Credit of $500 on your 2024 tax return.

LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Working Dependent

Welcome to our Event, Mr_Cruz!

To claim the Child Tax Credit your child must be under the age of 17 (16 years or younger)

For dependents:

The tax rules typically allow you to claim a credit for a dependent child if they reside with you for more than half the year, don’t provide more than half of their own financial support, and are under the age of 19 at all times during the tax year, or under 24 if a full-time student

For more details click here: Dependent Children

There are Education credits that might apply to your situation -  click this link for more info: 

Tax Deductions and Credits for Families

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies