turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nancy-lp

Can I issue a 1099 to an employee using the self-employee product?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
georgesT

Can I issue a 1099 to an employee using the self-employee product?

With the desktop version, start TurboTax, click Start New Return (or Begin if you have not yet opened any tax files in newly-installed TurboTax), select Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors.  To e-file the forms, you'll need to access TurboTax's online Quick Employer Forms through the TurboTax application.

Quick Employer Forms helps small business owners like yourself quickly and easily create W-2, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV forms.

It asks you easy questions, and then completes the forms for you automatically. It even e-files the forms for you.

For unlimited access to Quick Employer Forms, which you can e-file at no additional cost,  you'll need to be using one of the following TurboTax products:

Please note:

• Quick Employer Forms supports e-filing to the Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service only. It does not support filing any state employer forms, nor does it support paper-filed forms.
  • If you need to file 100 or more forms, we recommend our 1099-Efile Service, designed to accommodate larger businesses.
  • If you use our Lacerte and ProSeries software, please contact your sales representative for information on Quick Employer Forms.

See also Quick Employer Forms FAQs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies