Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gth1959
Returning Member

why would the IRS say my schedule 8812 credit was calculated wrong?

why would the IRS say my schedule 8812 credit was calculated wrong?  I've got 2 dependents (17 & 14).  My income is way below $150,000 (married filing jointly).  The program put line 5 on schedule 8812 at $6,000.  Is this not correct?

How do I speak with a person regarding this?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

That's right.  How much do you have on 1040 line 28?   Is it the full 6,000?  Didn't you get any of the Advance Child Tax Credit?    Line 28 is only for the remaining amount or qualify for more.  You should have gotten half as an advance.  Double check your bank account.  Did you get IRS letter 6419 saying how much they sent you?  If you are married you should each get s letter for half of the Advance.  

gth1959
Returning Member

Line 28 is $4,500 which is the $6,000 minus the $1,500 I had received.  I received a letter from the IRS saying schedule 8812 line 5 was wrong.  That was $6,000.

@gth1959 - you only received $1500 and not $3000 (two children) duing the period July - Dec, 2021.

Asked any other way, were you receiving $500 per month? if so that is the error. 

gth1959
Returning Member

You said that is the error.  Who made the error?  The IRS or me?

@gth1959 - if you received the $500 per month and did not post that into TT when TT prompted you, that is your error...

did you receive $500 per month? 

gth1959
Returning Member

I posted it onto Turbo Tax.

gth1959
Returning Member

Once again, why would the IRS say my schedule 8812 credit was calculated wrong?  How do I proceed?  What do I need to show the IRS?

If Turbo Tax calculated it wrong, do I get a refund?

I think we are drifting away from the real issue; suggest not focusing so much on Form 8812 (even thought that is what the IRS notice stated).

All the calculations related to the Child Care Credit are automated, with one exception.  That exception is how much you received from July - Dec, 2021 in what is called 'the advance child tax credit'.

SInce you have two children between the ages of 6 and 17 (using their ages as of 12/31/21), you are entitled to a $6,000 Child Care Credit (assuming they are US citizens or Resident aliens and lived with you for at least 6 months of 2021). 

But that $6,000 is reduced by whatever you received from Jul - Dec. 2021. 

Since you state that Line 28 is $4500 that infers that you told TT that you received $1500 during that time period.  Is that accurate?

Note that you should have received Letter 6419 stating how much the IRS sent you, but BE CAREFUL, there were TWO letters, once addressed to you and one to your spouse and you were to ADD THE TWO LETTERS TOGETHER. 

Please check your records (bank accounts) and confirm whether you received $500 per month (which is what I suspect) or only $250 per month.

if you received $500 per month, THAT is why the IRS sent you the letter indicating that Form 8812 was incorrect.  Their records indicate they sent you $3000 but you only entered $1500 into TT.  

is that what occured?  if so, there is nothing for your to do (unless the letter from the IRS states otherwise) as the IRS will reduce your refund by the $1500 discrepancy (or increase what you owe)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies