Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo Tax reporting my RMD as a taxable item for Alabama?

There is not a way for me to exempt it like I did for the military retirement pay which is also not taxed in Alabama.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Not all retirement income is exempt from tax in Alabama.   If your 1099-R is from one of the systems below, it is not taxable.  But for all other 401k and IRA distributions, the income is taxable on your Alabama return.  

Alabama income does not include:

• U.S. retirement system benefits.
• State of Alabama Teachers’ Retirement System benefits.
• State of Alabama Employees’ Retirement System benefits.
• State of Alabama Judicial Retirement System benefits.
• Military retirement pay.
• Tennessee Valley Authority Pension System benefits.
• U.S. Government Retirement Fund benefits.
• Payments from a “Defined Benefit Retirement Plan” in accordance with IRC section 414(j).
• Federal railroad retirement benefits.
• Federal Social Security benefits

If your RMD distribution was from one of the systems above, delete the 1099-R and carefully re-enter it.   There are follow-up questions after that need to be answered in order to get the income in the correct spot on your tax return.  If the income is from a plan above, you can exempt it on the Alabama return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Dawn,

Yes, I followed all of this for my military retirement pay. Alabama passed a law in 2023 that RMD's are tax exempt up to $6,000, and my question is why does Turbo Tax not reflect this in this section? As a result, there is no way for me to record it as not taxable like I did for the military retirement pay. I'm wondering if there is another way around it?

@fdk50 The law that was passed exempts the first $6,000 of retirement plan distributions for taxpayers age 65 or older 

Were you age 65 or older in 2023?

Yes, I am 72.

So if you did not have one of the retirement plans listed the Alabama state program would have excluded the first $6,000 of the distribution reported on the Form 1099-R.  Or you would have been asked in the state program how much of the distribution should excluded.

Did the Alabama state program cover this type of exclusion?

When you say Alabama State program, do you mean the Alabama State Turbo Tax return? If so, then no. It only transferred the RMD amount from my federal return.

Ok, then I need to turn this back over to the TurboTax expert who has the resources to do an investigation when using the TurboTax state software for Alabama @DawnC 

Thanks. Because it seems to me that Turbo Tax did not update the program to cover this law enacted in 2023.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies