turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crozier04

Why does turbo tax limit my Arizona tax credit to $200 when that credit is over $400? I donated $400 to a qualifying charity, I deleted it from my federal return.

Turbo tax only let me claim $200 last year and only $200 this year. What is going on with that??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Why does turbo tax limit my Arizona tax credit to $200 when that credit is over $400? I donated $400 to a qualifying charity, I deleted it from my federal return.

The AZ tax credit for donations to a qualifying charitable organization is a non-refundable tax credit.  That means the amount of credit used cannot exceed your AZ tax liability.  The unused part of these non-refundable credits is carried over to the next tax year.  So once your tax liability is reduced to zero by your "available non-refundable credit" amounts the rest is not used and carried over to become available next year.  

Your "available non-refundable credit" amount is equal to the current year qualified donation limited by the law ($421 for single taxpayers for 2023, for example) plus any credit amount carried over from the previous year.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies