Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does Estate capital loss appear, but then gets added back in?

Hi,  I don't understand this and it may not matter, but why, on our 1041 (Final Estate Income Tax Return), is our interest and dividend income reduced on Line 4 by $3,000 from our loss on the sale of the inherited house, and also reduced on Line 21 by the $600 exemption (so $3,600), but then in Schedule B on Line 6, the $3,000 capital loss is added back in?

It may not matter since all of the capital loss does appear on the K-1s of the beneficiaries (meaning it was not reduced by $3,000), but I don't know why the IRS added the loss and exemption back in on the 1041.  Also, where did the $600 exemption go?

Do you know the answers?  Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

On a final 1041  ALL tax items are passed thru to the beneficiaries on the K-1 forms to be reported on their personal tax returns  which is why everything gets negated on the form 1041 since it will not be used on the 1041. 

@Critter-3 is correct. 

Further, the $600 exemption is not utilized on a final return when all items of income, expense, credits, et al, are passed through to the beneficiaries in K-1s.

Thank you both!  Glad to know that it was not a mistake that I made.  I appreciate the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies