mlb6317

Why did the system calculate the tax credit for my child over 17?

My return was rejected because I had a child over 17 as a dependent.  Should it not be entered at all but should it not calculate the $500 credit?

Your return was not rejected because of a dependent over 17.  It must have been rejected for some other reason.  it is true that if your child turned 17 before 2018 ended, you cannot get the child tax credit.  You can, however, claim the child as a dependent and get the $500 credit for other dependents.

What is the rejection code or message you received?