Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I switch back to itemized deductions?

I am using Deluxe for Windows desktop. I followed the instructions here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-credits-deductions/change-standard-d...

These instructions don't work! I click "Done with Deductions" in Step 4.  Then a screen comes up that says "Let's check your deductions and credits...Analysis complete. Select Continue to see results." So, I select "Continue".

After a couple of clicks, I get to a screen that says "Here are your 2023 deductions and credits....Good news: You're getting a standard deduction."

There is never a message that says: "The Standard [or Itemized] Deduction is Right for You!"

And there's no option to "Select Change my deduction and choose which one you'd like."

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Why can't I switch back to itemized deductions?

Yes, you may not see an option to switch to itemized deductions if there's a reason why you shouldn't select itemized deductions. 

The most obvious reason you wouldn't get an option to switch is that you are Married Filing Separately and you indicated that your spouse is taking the Standard Deduction. 

Another reason the program wouldn't give you the option is if your Standard Deduction completely wipes out your tax income and you wouldn't get any benefit from itemizing. 

To see if that's the reason, you need to select the Forms icon in the upper right corner. Highlight Form 1040 in the list on the left and check line 15, if it's 0, you won't get any benefit from itemizing. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies