Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

keericks

Why am I being asked my HDHP plan coverage lapse in 2017 being due to disability? I have no lapse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Why am I being asked my HDHP plan coverage lapse in 2017 being due to disability? I have no lapse?

The question that starts this is "Was Blank covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2016". If you had HDHP coverage on 12/1/2016, then you would normally answer "Family" or "Self". However, you may find that if you answer either one that TurboTax reports that you had a break in coverage in 2017, when you are pretty sure that you didn't.

Here are some options.

If you had HDHP coverage every month in 2016, then you can safely answer "None" to this question. Why? Because TurboTax is trying to find out if you took advantage of the "last-month" rule in 2016, in which you would have started your HDHP coverage sometime during the year, yet contributed to the HSA as if the limit were for a full year. The catch to the last-month rule is that if you used it in 2016, then you needed to have stayed in it for all of 2017. Sometimes the software thinks that you had a break in 2017 and wants to examine this situation further.

If you were in the HDHP for all of 2016, answer "none".

If you were not in the HDHP on 12/1/2016, then answer "none".

If you were in the HDHP for all of 2017, answer "none".

If you started HDHP coverage sometime after 1/1/2016 and stopped HDHP coverage at some point in 2017, then answer "Family" or "Self" (whichever is correct), then navigate through the following screens so that TurboTax can determine if you owe any penalty for using the last-month rule.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies