Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

J3SS1CA

Where to write off gas for rental car?

I rented a car through the Avis/Uber partnership to have a vehicle I could use for grocery/food delivery for a short time. Of course, I'm aware I can write off the expense of the actual car rental but I'm unsure about if I can write off the gas purchased for delivery driving while I had the car since I can't claim mileage on a car that wasn't mine? If so, what category do I put it under in expenses because I can't find a category that is a good match? Also, should the rental car be under business travel or equipment rental? I had it under business travel but it told me to double check that, then I found an article here on Turbotax that said put it under equipment rental if it's a rental for gig work, but then it still says double check when I did that to... So, I don't know what expense category I need to put it under or if it even matters? Thanks for the help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes.  You can enter your actual gas expenses as well.  This would go in the business section.  It would be best under equipment rental.  You can enter it is the area at the end of the expenses as Other miscellaneous expenses, then enter vehicle rental and gas for rental vehicle. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@J3SS1CA wrote:

since I can't claim mileage on a car that wasn't mine? 

You have the option to use the Standard Mileage Rate, if you want to.  But in my experience, a leased or rented vehicle often benefits from the Actual Expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies