turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do I find medical expense deductions on the 1040?

I'm not seeing our medical expense deductions on the turbotax 1040 so I'm guess we're under the cap but how can i figure out how close we are to being able to deduct our medical expenditures?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The medical expenses would not be directly on the Form 1040.  They get totaled with other itemized deductions and are placed on line 40 of Form 1040.  The breakdown of itemized deductions, including medical expenses and the calculation related to your AGI, would be found on Schedule A, which would accompany your tax return.  I have included a copy of a blank Schedule A below so you can have a visual.  Now, if you don't have a Schedule A in your return at all, or you see the standard deduction amount on line 40 for your filing status, then you didn't have enough overall itemized deductions to deduct them.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The medical expenses would not be directly on the Form 1040.  They get totaled with other itemized deductions and are placed on line 40 of Form 1040.  The breakdown of itemized deductions, including medical expenses and the calculation related to your AGI, would be found on Schedule A, which would accompany your tax return.  I have included a copy of a blank Schedule A below so you can have a visual.  Now, if you don't have a Schedule A in your return at all, or you see the standard deduction amount on line 40 for your filing status, then you didn't have enough overall itemized deductions to deduct them.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies