lisadubya

Where do I enter the Mortgage Insurance Deduction?

When I set up my lender it asked for taxes paid, interest paid, origination date, and balance.  It did not ask me for my mortgage insurance premiums, which are on my 1098, box 5.

I read in one of the posts above that this deduction goes away when AGI exceeds $109,000.  Our AGI is only $93,702.

Tonita

As of tax year 2017, homeowners are no longer able to deduct mortgage insurance premiums. Only on tax year 2006–2016 returns.

The mortgage insurance deduction was introduced in 2006, and was last extended through December 31, 2016 by the 2015 Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act.

Tonita

Wilber122

It was approved on February 9th as part of the Budget Act of 2018 and Extenders 2018/02/09.  You will have to wait for the IRS to release the electronic version of the form so that TurboTax can update their software. Until that happens, we all wait.