turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lisadubya

Where do I enter the Mortgage Insurance Deduction?

When I set up my lender it asked for taxes paid, interest paid, origination date, and balance.  It did not ask me for my mortgage insurance premiums, which are on my 1098, box 5.

I read in one of the posts above that this deduction goes away when AGI exceeds $109,000.  Our AGI is only $93,702.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

As of tax year 2017, homeowners are no longer able to deduct mortgage insurance premiums. Only on tax year 2006–2016 returns.

The mortgage insurance deduction was introduced in 2006, and was last extended through December 31, 2016 by the 2015 Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

As of tax year 2017, homeowners are no longer able to deduct mortgage insurance premiums. Only on tax year 2006–2016 returns.

The mortgage insurance deduction was introduced in 2006, and was last extended through December 31, 2016 by the 2015 Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act.

Wilber122

It was approved on February 9th as part of the Budget Act of 2018 and Extenders 2018/02/09.  You will have to wait for the IRS to release the electronic version of the form so that TurboTax can update their software. Until that happens, we all wait.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies