Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mahalo27

Where do I enter my FSA tax contribution? Does it go under medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A medical FSA is not reported on your W-2.  In fact, it is not reported anywhere on your tax return.   (This means, for example, there is no penalty for misusing the money.  This is because the IRS places the burden of compliance on the plan trustee and not you.)

If you list your medical expense deductions, Turbotax will ask for all your medical expenses, then will ask for all your reimbursements (including regular insurance, FSA and so on).  This is not because the FSA is reported on your tax return, but because Turbotax is designed so that you will simply enter everything and let the program figure out what do with it.  Medical expenses paid from an FSA may not be used as a tax deduction since they were already paid with tax-free money, but the program is designed to do that for you. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You do not need to make a separate entry for the contributions you made to your flexible spending account (FSA).  These amounts should show up on your W-2 and are taken care of when you enter your W-2.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A medical FSA is not reported on your W-2.  In fact, it is not reported anywhere on your tax return.   (This means, for example, there is no penalty for misusing the money.  This is because the IRS places the burden of compliance on the plan trustee and not you.)

If you list your medical expense deductions, Turbotax will ask for all your medical expenses, then will ask for all your reimbursements (including regular insurance, FSA and so on).  This is not because the FSA is reported on your tax return, but because Turbotax is designed so that you will simply enter everything and let the program figure out what do with it.  Medical expenses paid from an FSA may not be used as a tax deduction since they were already paid with tax-free money, but the program is designed to do that for you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

your employer should have reduced your wages (line 1 of w-2) for anything taken out of your paycheck that went into your FSA.   in addition an employer may put in its own money.   this contribution is tax-free. Therefore you get no deduction for the amount you put in.   any money taken out of the FSA to pay qualified medical expenses is not deductible.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies