Jeff410

Where do I enter a $1000 HSA catch up contribution for turning 55?

TomK

To enter/edit HSA:

1. Open your return (or continue if open).

2. Type “HSA” (lower-case works too) in Search box (upper right-hand corner of the screen)

3. Click on “Jump to HSA” link.

4. Answer screen interview prompts. 

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for more information about Form 8889 (Health Savings Accounts - HSAs)  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4557768

Please also see screenshot below:

tandgboone

These instruction no longer work with TT 21. I can't get to my 8889-T and I tried to update line 9 with catch up contributions, but it didn't work. Need to know which line to add the $1000 to so that my taxes will go down instead of up for making this extra contributions

LenaH

If you have to enter contributions that are not reported in Box 12 of your W-2, you have to go through the Medical section. Look for the questions Did you put money into an HSA in 2021? or Do you need to make any adjustments to your HSA contribution amount? When you answer Yes, TurboTax will open a screen where you can enter your contribution. The maximum contribution to your HSA account is: 

• $4,600 if you're 55 or older at the end of 2021 and are covered by an individual (self-only) HDHP;
  • $8,200 if you're 55 or older at the end of 2021 and are covered by a family HDHP.

TurboTax will use your birthday to determine your maximum contribution. 

To review the HSA section of your return and input information for the 8889-T, please follow the instructions below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on the Federal Taxes tab at the top of the page.
  3. Click on Deductions & Credits.
  4. Scroll down to Medical
  5. Click Start next to 1099-SA, HSA, MSA.
  6. Follow the on-screen instructions.

@tandgboone